Mining trucks and vehicles are exposed to some of the most extreme environments in the Off-Highway Vehicle industry: high temperatures, very high shock and vibration characteristics, exposure to the elements, etc. On top of that, as the vehicle is moving around the work site, the heavy load in the dump body can shift and cause spikes in the hydraulic system controlling the bed, steering, suspension and brakes.
As feedback to and from the systems on the vehicle are being improved upon, more data is required by the on-board controllers of the vehicle. One of those additions is not only the active pressure in a particular system but the additional need for monitoring the temperature of the fluids inside the system as well.
Challenge: Finding a single reliable, heavy duty pressure sensor with a temperature output that can survive the mining truck environment
Many pressure sensor manufacturers offer sensors that can survive in the mining truck industry. But few have the optional configuration of having both pressure and temperature readings from one device. Typically, you would need an access port for a single pressure sensor and then you’d need to create a second access hole for the temperature sensor. This extra access port adds additional labor costs as an additional area for potential leaks.
Solution: Gems 3201 Series Pressure Sensors with Dual Output
The Gems 3201 series Dual Output Pressure Sensors feature a single device that can read both pressure and temperature in a single sensor solution. The pressure is measured via the thin-film strain gauge inside the sensor. The same strain gauge utilizes a temperature measuring component that since it is built right onto the strain gauge, it can measure the temp of your media (fluid, oil, gas, etc.). This way, the manufacturer has one access port but two outputs.
Features of the Gems 3201 Series Pressure Sensors:
- Dual Output = Ability to provide both pressure and temperature from one sensor
- Heavy Duty = Able to withstand pressure spikes
- Exceptional Long-Term Stability = No need for costly field calibration or replacement
- Thermally compensated = Consistent performance under wide temperature conditions
- 304 Stainless Steel body = Able to with stand harsh chemicals and gasses
- Sealed to IP67 = heavy water spray, power-washing
- Enhanced RFI, EMI, and ESD Protection = Clear uninterrupted signal in harsh electrical environments
- Computer Controlled Calibration = High 1:1 Interchangeability from unit to unit
- Passes 40G Vibration test and IEC Free Fall test = Rugged design to handle excessive shock and vibration conditions.
Other notable BLOGs:
- Intro to dual output pressure sensors
- Blog on 3100 (standard duty) vs. 3200 (heavy duty) series sensors
- Specialty and Off Highway Vehicles
- Transportation - Train and Rail
- Alternative energy
- Oil & Gas
- Power Generation
Other Mining App Notes:
- Gems Pressure Sensors Manage the Suspension on Coal Mine Haul Trucks
- How Ultrasonic Sensors can Be Used In Mining Equipment
- A & D Series solenoid valves: control the control flow of air
- CAP-3 liquid level sensors: engine coolant level
- XLS-1 liquid level sensors: fluid reservoir levels
- ELS-1100 liquid level sensors: fluid reservoir levels
- XT-800 continuous float sensor: diesel tank level