Demand has been increasing in the Power Generation sector, particularly in the Generator Set (or Gen Set), to add more feedback as to what is happening with the engine running the generator. The Gen Set manufacturers and customers not only want to monitor liquid levels and temperatures when they are too high to too low but also get a continuous feedback at actual levels. Traditionally, a pressure switch (on/off) would be used when oil levels got to be too low. Now, they need to provide a continuous output like 4 to 20 mA, 0 to 5 V, 0 to 10V, 0.5 to 4.5 V, etc. that they can feed into a controller or display.
Challenge: Finding a heavy duty and reliable continuous pressure sensor that can survive a high vibration environment of a Generation Set.
As the Gen Set is running, a high amount of vibration can be felt throughout the engine and engine compartment. It is challenging to find a commercially available and reasonably cost pressure sensor that can survive in this type of environment
The 3100 Series Pressure Sensors utilizes a Thin Film technology that is highly vibration resistant. They are tested from 20 to 1000 Hz @ approx. 40G peak per MIL-STD-810E to ensure long life on an engine.
Also, the electrical back end of the 3100 Series Pressure Sensors are sealed and tested to the IP67 standard. With this high sealing rating, if the owner of the Gen Set needs to power wash it to keep It clean, they will not have to worry about any water or soap ingress into the sensor.
Features of the Gems 3100 Series Pressure Sensors:
- Exceptional Long-Term Stability = No need for costly field calibration or replacement
- Thermally compensated = Consistent performance under wide temperature conditions
- 304 Stainless Steel body = Able to with stand harsh chemicals and gasses
- Sealed to IP67 = heavy water spray, power-washing
- Enhanced RFI, EMI, and ESD Protection = Clear uninterrupted signal in harsh electrical environments
- Computer Controlled Calibration = High 1:1 Interchangeability from unit to unit
- Passes 40G Vibration test and IEC Free Fall test = Rugged design to handle excessive shock and vibration conditions
- Dual Output Option = Ability to provide both pressure and temperature from one sensor
Other notable BLOGs:
- Accuracy Explained 3100 Pressure Sensor
- Ratiometric Pressure Sensors - What Is It?
- UL Approvals For Pressure Sensors (1100, 3100 & 3200 Series)
- Dual Output Pressure Sensors (Pressure And Temp)
- Alternative Energy
- Transportation - Train & Rail
- Specialty & Off-Highway Vehicles
- Power Generation
- 1100 Series: pressure sensor, continuous monitoring
- 3600 Series: on/off pressure switch, solid state (no moving parts)
- A & D Series solenoid valves: control the control flow of air and oils
- CAP-3 liquid level sensors: engine coolant level
- XLS-1 liquid level sensors: fluid reservoir levels
- ELS-1100 liquid level sensors: fluid reservoir levels
- XT-800 continuous float sensor: diesel tank level