Trash compactors are one way that we can improve the environment by reducing the volume of trash that goes into a landfill. Smaller bags, smaller loads means that dumpsters can hold more trash and smaller loads entering the landfill. This also yields fewer times the dumpster needs to be emptied which equals less use of fuel to dump the load.
A pressure switch is needed to monitor the amount of hydraulic pressure in the compactor’s system. As the compactor compresses the material, pressure is placed on the system. A pressure switch monitors the system pressure and turns off the hydraulic pump when pressure is not needed and turns it on when there is a demand for more pressure.
But, compacting large amounts of trash is quite a challenging task. The materials that need to be compacted vary from strong to weak. The hydraulics in the compactor sometimes push very hard to crush the contents and other times push more
gently. When a piece of trash is being compacted and gives way, spikes can occur in the hydraulic system.
Finding a rugged pressure switch that can provide an accurate signal when used heavily in an aggressive environment and withstand potential spikes. The pressure switch can see some high spikes during use. This causes immediate
and high pressure in the system and can damage weak pressure switches. Some compactors are also cleaned via a power washer.
The redesigned PS61 Series Pressure Switch has been extensively tested to withstand up to 7,000 psi (483 bar) of pressure without incurring any type of damage. This is critical in trash compacting applications. Also, MIL-STD
202G testing for vibration and shock has been achieved. The electrical connection back-ends have been designed and tested to IPX7, IPX9K, and IP6KX so that they are resistant to dust, high-pressure/high-temperature wash-down,
as well as submergence.
Adding the PS61 Series Pressure Switch to your trash compacting equipment application is a major asset to ensure your equipment will have a long and reliable life span.
Features of the Gems PS61 Series Pressure Switch:
- Exceptional Long-Term Stability = No need for costly field calibration or replacement
- Operates over 2,000,000 cycles = long life without need for replacement
- Sealed to IPX7, IPX9K, and IP6KX = heavy water spray, power-washing, submergence
- Computer Controlled Calibration = High 1:1 Interchangeability from unit to unit
- Passes MIL-STD-202G Vibration, Shock, and Free Fall test = Rugged design to handle excessive shock and vibration conditions
- Industry-standard pressure port options = will work in most applications
- Industry-standard electrical connection options = will work in most applications
- 3100/3200: hydraulic oil pressure
- XT/XM-700: hydraulic reservoir tank level, links product landing pages
- LS-7: fluid reservoir tank low/high level