When a process (medical or otherwise) requires the use of DI Water (or deionized water), the components chosen for the application need to be able to withstand the harshness of DI water. DI water (or demineralized water) is a process that removes ions from the water. This removes the impurities in the water so they do not influence or change the process that needs to be performed.
An example would be a company that makes saline to be injected into the human body. The process starts with DI water or water blank. When the company adds their saline formula solution, the water blank does not modify the final saline formula. The formula is consistent over each batch and at each location it is made. The local water differences will not change the recipe.
Challenge: Finding a reliable pressure sensor that will not be affected by DI Water.
DI water can be very aggressive on carbon steel metals. The lack of ions in the DI water makes it attract the ions in the metal and actually start to corrode it. Since a pressure sensor relies on the Strain Gauge on the diaphragm, this corrosion changes the physical characteristics of the diaphragm and acts like it is being pressed on (pressure) or pulled (vacuum). This shift will give you a false reading.
Solution: The Gems 3500 Series Pressure Sensor
The 3500 series pressure sensor features 316L Stainless Steel diaphragm and pressure port, AKA: wetted parts. 316L SS has been shown to be compatible with DI water in many applications, including the making of saline, used with a rinse agent for sample testing in petri dishes, or creating a formula that will be injected into the human body.
Other uses for DI Water:
- Glass manufacturer: clean rinse agent, yields no streaking in the final product
- Biotech and pharmaceutical: bacteria-free water reduces chance of contamination
- Specimen handling: as the instruments and holding containers are cleaned, the DI water minimizes cross-contamination
Features of the Gems 3500 Series Pressure Sensors:
- Exceptional Long-Term Stability = No need for costly field calibration or replacement
- Thermally compensated = Consistent performance under wide temperature conditions
- 316L Stainless Steel Wetted Parts = Able to withstand DI water, harsh chemicals and gasses
- Sealed to IP67 = heavy water spray, power-washing
Other notable BLOGs:
- Medical - /industries/medical
- Food and Beverage - /industries/food-and-beverage
- Process Tank Gauging- /industries/process-tank-gauging
- Water and Wastewater - /industries/water-and-wastewater
- Power Generation - /industries/power-generation
- Alternative Energy - /industries/alternative-energy
- Marine - /industries/marine
- 1100 Series: pressure sensor, continuous monitoring, oils & fluids
- A & D Series solenoid valves: control the control flow of air and oils
- CAP-3 solid state liquid level sensors, capacitive
- XLS-1 solid state liquid level sensors, ultrasonic
- ELS-1100 solid state liquid level sensors, optical
- XT-800 continuous float liquid level sensor