X-ray machines are vital tools for medical personnel to help properly diagnose and treat patients. X-ray machines have become more sophisticated with extra features and options through the addition of high-power electronics. With these added electronics, heat is generated inside the machines, and this excessive heat can lead to short equipment lifetime or even premature failure.
To pull the heat out of the machine, X-ray manufacturers run a coolant loop around the electrical equipment containing either a glycol-based coolant or even an oil-based coolant. Monitoring this coolant is crucial as it requires constant flow to effectively pull the heat out of the machine and transfer it elsewhere.
Challenge: Finding a reliable flow switch that can detect low flow rates and have a low pressure drop.
Coolant liquid is critical in many applications, and X-ray machines are no different. Medical equipment is expected to have a very high uptime and perform with high reliability. Having a piece of medical equipment breakdown during use is frustrating to the operator and even more frustrating to the patient to whom this equipment is being used with! Uptime is the most critical characteristic that the solution must exhibit.
Solution: Gems Sensor’s FS-380 Flow Switch
The FS-380 is an inline design flow switch which reduces high pressure drops. This is crucial for coolant liquid as the flow rate needs to be consistent and at a substantial rate to pull the heat away from the sensitive electronics within the x-ray machine. The piston-based design of the FS-380 flow switch is a simple yet reliable design with excellent repeatability. This piston and reed switch design also is not affected from the x-rays like other more sensitive electronic based sensors.
Additional Benefits of the FS-380 Flow Switch:
- With setpoints as low as 0.15 gallons per minute it can detect very low flow rantes and still sense loss of flow
- With either a 316 stainless-steel or Brass body, it is a rugged flow switch
- Available in multiple different port sizes and types including 1/2", 3/8” NPT, 1/4", 3/8” Compression, and 1/2" Barb.
- Operating temperature range of -20°F to +275°F it can withstand extreme media conditions.
Full FS-380 Flow Switch details can be found here
- PS11: low pressure switch
- CAP-300: coolant levels, solid state
- XLS-1: fluid reservoir levels, solid state
- LS-3: fluid reservoir levels, from the top
- LS-7: fluid reservoir levels, from the side
- LS-350: multi-point level with siphon tube