As emissions regulations continue to get stricter, OEMS are looking for ways to meet or beat the specifications to ensure that their equipment is in compliance. One of the largest adders to emissions is idling gas/diesel-powered equipment. As an operator is using a machine, they will increase the idle RPM so that there is plenty of power on the PTO (Power Take Off). Having this extra power allows the machinery to operate efficiently and without strain.
But, there are times that the operator might be occupied with another task or they might jump off the machine to address another issue. Having the piece of equipment running at a high idle adds un-needed emissions into the atmosphere. It also consumes more fuel and increases engine noise levels.
To prevent this from happening, the ECM (Engine Control Module) monitors the pressure in the hydraulic system controlling the PTO. If there is demand on the PTO (for example, the operator is picking up a tree trunk), pressure in the system will
be high and the ECM allows the engine to idle at a high rate. But if the operator is not using the PTO, pressure in the system will be low, the ECM sees that it is low and the ECM will lower the idle down to a lower level.
This process is called “Auto-Idle” or “Automatic Idle Down”. A pressure switch is required to monitor the pressure in the PTO system and send a signal to the ECM.
Finding a rugged pressure switch that can provide an accurate signal when used heavily in an aggressive environment and withstand a high number of cycles.
The redesigned PS61 Series Pressure Switch has been designed and tested to survive for over 2,000,000 cycles so that the operator can be assured that their equipment will have a long life. This is critical in outdoor
Adding the PS61 Series Pressure Switch to your forestry equipment application is a major asset to ensure your equipment will reduce emissions, consume less fuel and reduce engine noise levels.
Features of the Gems PS61 Series Pressure Switch:
- Exceptional Long-Term Stability = No need for costly field calibration or replacement
- Operates over 2,000,000 cycles = long life without need for replacement
- Sealed to IPX7, IPX9K, and IP6KX = heavy water spray, power-washing, submergence
- Computer Controlled Calibration = High 1:1 Interchangeability from unit to unit
- Passes MIL-STD-202G Vibration, Shock, and Free Fall test = Rugged design to handle excessive shock and vibration conditions
- Industry-standard pressure port options = will work in most applications
- Industry-standard electrical connection options = will work in most applications
- 3100/3200: hydraulic oil pressure
- XT/XM-700: hydraulic reservoir tank level, links product landing pages
- LS-7: fluid reservoir tank low/high level