1. What is the LS-3Micro?
- It is a subminiature point level switch designed to provide high performance in space-limited applications such as medical diagnostic devices, food & beverage machines, etc. These switches are compatible with water, medical reagents and corrosive chemicals.
2. What is the operating principle for the LS-3 Micro?
- It operates on a direct, simple principle. A float encircling a stationary stem is equipped with permanent magnets. As the float rises or lowers with the liquid level, the magnetic field generated from within the float, actuates a hermetically sealed magnetic reed switch mounted within the stem.
3. Why does the LS-3 Micro have a special fluted stem design?
- The special fluted stem design, coupled with lighter magnets and bumps on the float, reduces the likeliness of sticking and improves the buoyancy, reliability and performance of the sensor.
4. What is the accuracy of a reed switch?
- The design of the reed switch provides consistent accuracy of +/- 1/16”.
5. What is the life expectancy of a reed switch?
- A reed switch is extremely rugged and designed to operate reliably for many years, under ideal conditions, up to about 2 million cycles. To achieve maximum service life, reed switches benefit from protected electrical supply.
6. What approvals does LS-3 Micro have?
- The LS-3 micro has the following approval:
7. Is the LS-3 Micro Rohs compliant?
- Yes, the LS-3 Micros is RoHS approved.
8. Does the LS-3 Micro have FDA approval?
- No, but the materials of construction are consistent with FDA approvals for potable water.
9. What is the electrical rating for the LS-3 Micro?
- 20 Watt, 140 VAC/200VDC, 500mA, switch current.
10. Can the LS-3Micro float be reversed to get the opposite operation?
- No, the float cannot be reversed. We have special part numbers for normally open and normally closed in each mounting style.
11. What mountings are available for LS-3 Micro?
- We currently offer 1/8”NPT thread and 3/8”-16 UNC thread. Contact Gems if another mounting is required for qualified high volume OEM applications.
12. What is the best position to mount the LS-3Micro?
- The sensor can be mounted tank top or tank bottom mounted vertically, with lead wires up or down.
13. Are longer lead wires available for the LS-3 Micro?
- Yes, we can do longer lead wires. A minimum purchase would be required. Contact Gems with your requirements.