Power generation or electricity generation is the process of generating electric power from sources of primary energy. Those sources include diesel, heat (thermal) energy, wind energy, solar and chemical energy.
At Gems Sensors we have served the power generation industry for decades providing innovative sensors and controls solutions for demanding power generation applications. From rugged pressure switches and pressure sensors to reliable level sensing technology, Gems is a trusted partner for some of the world’s leading power generation equipment manufacturers.
Many Diesel and Gasoline powered generators require level sensing for the various liquids used within the system. These include fuel (gasoline or diesel), lubricating oil, and coolant liquid. Each liquid level is crucial to the efficient operation of the Generator.
Challenge: Finding a cost-effective non-contact level sensor that can handle the high pressure, temperature and vibration that occurs on a Power Generator.
Solution: Gems Non-Contact Radar Level Sensor
The Gems radar sensor is a non-contact continuous level transmitter. Radar technology works by sending out short microwave signals toward the liquid via the sensor. The microwave signal then hits the liquid surface and bounces back toward the sensor. The sensor utilizes the time-of-flight principle which uses the known speed of the microwave, and the time it took for the signal to return, divided by two (since it had to travel down to the liquid and then back up to the sensor) to determine the distance between the liquid level and the sensor. Since most level is based on the height of the liquid, not the height of the non-liquid (air), the air height is subtracted from the total tank depth to determine the liquid level!
Gems non-contact radar sensor is a great fit in Power Generation for several reasons. With an Ingress Protection rating of 68, it can be installed on Generators that are exposed to the elements with no risk of moisture intrusion. The Gems’ radar sensor is constructed of PVDF which is resistant to corrosion and is not affected from harmful UV light exposure. With a 2” NPT mounting it can easily be mounted in most small and medium sized fuel, oil and coolant tanks. With a maximum process temperature rating of 80 degrees Celsius and full vacuum to 43 PSI rating, it can withstand extreme applications.
Below are additional benefits of Gems Non-Contact Radar Level Sensor:
- Comes standard with Bluetooth configuration/setup. This saves sourcing and inventory costs as it reduces inventory management from multiple specific transmitters for each different tank depth down to one!
- Gems’ radar sensor is a compact design which helps reduce expensive shipping costs and transit times.
- Non-contact design means no media ever comes in contact with the Radar sensor. This eliminates the need to worry about material compatibility between the media and sensor components.
- The non-contact design is by default a no moving parts solution, which eliminates the potential for any mechanical failures from a float or probe-based sensor.
- Radar through the air technology is a very accurate sensing technology and can detect liquid level within 5mm, with no effect on its accuracy based on changes in temperature or pressure.
- Radar technology is not affected by condensation or dust in the air like ultra-sonic based sensors.
The above characteristics make Gems radar sensor an ideal solution to work in Power Generation. With standard outputs including 4-20mA, and Modbus, it is compatible with almost any type of controller or display. Gems’ radar sensor also has built-in Bluetooth capability for simple configuration. During setup it has the ability to sense obstructions within the beam angle and ignore them. This increases the potential installation areas as there is no need to work around tank obstructions like pipes or other sensors. This helps save countless installation man hours and eliminates the need to make costly tank modifications.
Gems Radar Level Sensor is an excellent match for Power Generation.
- XT-700, small float level transmitter
- XT-800, medium float level transmitter
- CAP-3, coolant level side mounted capacitance level switch
- XLS-1, side mounted ultrasonic level switch
- LS-700, compact multi-float level switch